Sunday, March 16, 2014

Sunday Morning Comfort

This morning I was in the mood for a hearty bowl of oatmeal. Since I had pear sauce in my kitchen, I thought I would use that to add some extra flavor and sweetness to my oatmeal. A simple mix of oats, milk, flax, and pear sauce, this oatmeal is comforting and filling enough to give you energy for the entire morning. Enjoy!

For 1 serving of oatmeal:
1 cup almond milk
1/2 cup oats (gluten-free if preferred)
1/2 cup pear sauce (I used Trader Joe's brand, but feel free to substitute apple sauce if you'd like)
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
dash cinnamon
dash nutmeg
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

For toppings:
I used a pinch shredded coconut, 1 tsp of maple syrup, a small handful of walnuts, cinnamon, and a chocolate glaze I had leftover from Friday.

1. Combine the almond milk, oats, pear sauce, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a pot and bring to a low boil.
2. When the mixture comes to a low boil, lower heat down to a simmer and stir occasionally until the oats soften and absorb the milk.
3. Take the pot off the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
4. Serve, top with whatever toppings you prefer, and dig in!


Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment