Monday, March 10, 2014

To whoever is out there...

When I went to my doctor in July 2013, she suggested that I consume a gluten-free and vegan diet.  I had just come from studying abroad in Germany (which was just about the best time of my life!). I went through my study abroad experience living in the motto "When in Rome!" I indulged in the most delicious and amazing food that one dreams about when thinking of European food. Going to my doctor was the wake up call that I needed to start taking better care of myself. And what an amazing journey it has been! I never thought that one visit to my doctor would completely change the way I eat and reignite my passion for cooking, baking, and searching for new recipes to try. I have been so inspired by the blog Oh She Glows, and I have to thank Angela for my easy transition into a primarily vegan diet. Eating vegan does not have to feel depriving, boring, or tedious. Some of the most delicious recipes that I have come across are vegan! 

I know that telling people you are vegan does not result in the most warm responses. Often friends look at me as if I have three eyes and wonder why I eat the way I do. I do it for no one other than myself; it makes me feel so much better to know that what I am putting into my body is nourishing and is providing my body with the nutrients it needs to function. This journey has been an interesting one to say the least, one that I never thought I would experience, but it has been a great one that I want to share with others.

Eating healthy does not have to be difficult; it can be fun (and way easier than I thought it would be)!

My life before integrating more vegan foods into my lifestyle consisted of anything and everything unhealthy for me. Give me pasta, sausage, a great mixed drink or German beer, and I am there (what vegetables?!). Little did I know that all that indulgence would catch up with me. Now that I consume a vegan diet about 90% of the time, I feel so much better knowing that I am taking care of myself, and I want to share my journey with you all. So join me on my transition of becoming vegan and experimenting with baking and cooking and finding the vegan food gems around town. Hopefully my new found love for vegan food can inspire you to make some healthy changes to your own diet and lifestyle because I know how much it helped me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment