Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Too good not to share...

Yesterday I decided to make the Cream of Tomato Soup with Roasted Italian Chickpea Croutons from the Oh She Glows Cookbook by Angela Liddon. That was just one of the recipes I wanted to try!

I thought I would share my adaptation of the recipe with you all. I didn't have the exact ingredients so I worked with what I had and it came out so good!

Adapted from the Oh She Glows Cookbook by Angela Liddon

Here it goes:

For the chickpeas:
1 can of chickpeas
1 tsp olive oil
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp Adobo powder (you can find in Hispanic food aisle in grocery store or a specialty store)
1/2 tsp Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute

For the tomato soup:
1 cup cashews and sunflower seeds, soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
1 small onion (I used onion that I sauteed a couple of days ago. I think it was less than a whole onion.)
2 cloves garlic
2 cups vegetable broth
1.5-2 cups tomato sauce of your choice
3 Roma tomatoes
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
Trader Joe's 21 seasoning salute to taste
ground black pepper to taste

This recipe started out with me making a mistake by adding too many cashews into the recipe, so I added the tomato sauce to compensate for the extra nut mixture.

First:
Make the chickpea croutons.
Preheat oven to 425.
Drain and rinse the chickpeas and pat dry with a paper towel.
In a bowl, place the chickpeas, oil, and spices and mix until all the chickpeas are coated with the spices.
Place on a cookie sheet and roast for 15 minutes, rotate pan, and then roast for another 15 minutes or until chickpeas are crunchy.

For the Soup:
Place soaked cashews and sunflower seeds into blender with the vegetable broth and blend until smooth. Add in tomato sauce, sun dried tomatoes, onion, garlic, and tomatoes.
Bring to a low boil and add the spices to taste. I didn't add too many because the sauce already had some spices.
I simmered the mixture for maybe about 30 minutes until the garlic cooked down a little bit.
Serve and enjoy!

I had this for dinner tonight and it was absolutely delicious. I added some vegetables that I roasted a few days ago, vegan sour cream, Mary's Gone Crackers, and some tomatillo salsa that I had in the fridge for some extra flavor.

The bowl of goodness along with some green tea.

Dessert was a chocolate zucchini muffin with some almond butter on top. It hit the spot just right.

Happy Wednesday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment